He asked you out, the plans are made and it’s all come down to this: what to do with your hair. Deciding on a first date hairstyle can be tough, but it doesn’t have to be. Your hair should complement your outfit not matter what you’re wearing – from casual to glamorous. Rather than just do the same thing, pick a style that will polish your look and give you that extra bit of confidence as you head out the door. Here are 5 styles perfect for a first date along with outfit and activity ideas for each one.
1. The Top Knot: Hipsters made it popular but all women have embraced this look. If your hair is long enough to put it up in a high ponytail you can make a top knot in fewer than five minutes. Gather your hair as if to put it in a high pony and then pull your hands straight up, twisting as you go. Once you have it twisted, continue twisting it into a high bun. Secure the bun with an elastic. Pull out a few strands and smooth any bumps with a bobby pin (bumps are a natural part of this style). You can wear this style with anything, from skinnies and ballet flats to your favorite little black dress. To dress it up, just use a hair pin or bobby with a little flair.
2. Beachy Waves: If you don’t own a bottle of salt water spray go buy one now (well, after you finish reading this!). After showering, comb out your hair but don’t use any product. Once your hair is damp, spray with salt water and run your fingers through to distribute it. Your hair will dry in awesome beachy waves. This is the perfect style for a casual daytime date, complimenting shorts or casual skirts and a cute top, or casual sundresses. Consider this for a picnic, walk downtown, or mini-golf.
3. Braided Up Bun: To add a little pizzazz to a ballerina bun (this won’t work with a top knot!) just flip your head upside down. Section your hair off from ear to ear and clip the rest, then start a french braid with your head upside down. You’ll want to keep it tight and neat. Once there’s no more hair to pull from unclip the rest of your hair and put it in a bun for an adorable “zipped up” look. This style is great with dresses or dress jeans and a sparkly top and perfect for dinner or a concert.
4. Dressed Up Ponytail: If you are a ponytail kind of girl, consider dressing it up a little for a first date. This look is so versatile it works from the most casual to the fanciest of dates. Comb your hair into a neat mid-level or low ponytail and use an elastic to secure it but don’t wrap it the final time. Carefully pull a one inch section from the underside of the ponytail. You can braid this section or leave it loose, but if you leave it loose, run a straightening iron through it to make it more sleek.Wrap this free section around your elastic a few times and then pin the end underneath with a bobby pin. Curl or flat iron your ends for a little extra polish.
5. The Crazy Curls: This is a great hairstyle if you have crazy curls that you just love. You can start by curling your hair using one of the best curling wands like the ones you can find online. Make sure your hair is clean before you start. If you have greasy hair that you need to treat, you can also find tons of great reviews on the best shampoos to treat oily hair online as well. Use a curling wand to give yourself some great curls and you will find him running to greet you at the door on your first date.
No matter what your first date plans, it’s simple to style your hair into something quick and easy that will leave a lasting impression.